1.28.2005

The Die is Cast

It's occurred to me tonight that no one knows, or can know, the shape of the ripples from Sunday's Iraq election. If someone had asked Europe, an age ago, if they would be willing to slaughter almost the entire indigenous population of North America in order to build modern day U.S.A., would they have assented? Would you?

There's no knowing what garden may grow from this pile of bodies in Iraq. I have been against the action in Iraq since the day Bush began his rumblings, and I believe that our invasion has created as much misery as Saddam's regime while levying an instability unmatched by that spider-holed tyrant. But I won't presume to know what will happen 10, 20, 50 years in the future.

The invasion has set a novel course of events into motion. I don't know what will happen next. But there is a part of me that is hopeful that, ultimately, this will somehow create a circumstance for good. That somehow, despite the deaths of innocents, the grief of families, the destruction of cities, a great good might arise.

So, that's hope for you. I don't trust George W. and his posse any more than I would a hornet in my underwear, but I'm confident that they can't control the future.

Work for peace.

The P! Editorial Team is currently working on our vision statement. Please help us with your comments here: Open Thread: Help Us Identify Populist, Progressive Principles. Thank you.