It's been very hard to post this month. As a Virgo, I am always badly affected when Mercury goes into its retrograde dance every February - communication and focus go right down the tubes.
I've also had a bad case of the "why bothers?" In spite of looking around and finding some more radical kindred spirits, my sense is that (1) the best we can hope for is a Democratic Party gain in '06 and a Dem preznit in '08 - likely Rodham-Clinton or Kerry and (2) that just means more of the same. Remember, I said that's "the best" we can hope for. I'm no longer convinced (see previous post) that we're even going to see that.
Anyway, this is kind of scattered, but . . .
- Anybody who thinks Mardi Gras was a good idea this year is brain dead. Every cent of that money should have been put into the Ninth Ward and other devastated neighborhoods. I didn't see a lot of black faces in the newsreels from Bourbon Street. This is no time to laissez les bons temps roulez, you idiots!
- I got a real chuckle outta this one:
Syria opposition says US funding counterproductive
By Khaled Yacoub Oweis Mon Feb 27, 11:46 AM ET
DAMASCUS (Reuters) -
Syria's liberal opposition has said it will not accept money from a U.S. offer to fund democratic groups in the country, saying that its credibility would be damaged if it took the cash.
A group of a dozen parties, known as the Damascus Declaration, said on Monday they had enough resources on their own to press ahead with a campaign for peaceful change to end a 40-year monopoly by the Baath Party on power.
"The Damascus Declaration refuses foreign funding, including the $5 million from the U.S. State Department for the Syrian opposition," a statement by the group said.
- At what point do we call the escalating internecine slaughter in Iraq a civil war?
- the Democratic Party's "solution" to the "do we stay or do we go" miasma is worse than a joke: take the troops out of Iraq, but redeploy them elsewhere around the middle east. God, these jerks make me sick.
- anybody know enough about the "Intentional Community" movement to publish something here at P!. Leave a comment if you're interested.
- I got another chuckle outta this puppy (an Antiwar.com joint:
US: Iran has one-week 'opportunity' to defuse standoffKyuh! Ok, one week and then what? Anybody noticing that the only option that the "government" has for "success" is all-out nuclear war. I'm beginning to think that the only reason we have any influence at all is that the rest of the planet thinks The Doubleduh-Cheney Gang just might pull the trigger. Wonder how much George is drinking these days. Did everyone see the side of Whittington's face where Deadeye shot him? Put it together people. Don't forget to duck, or quail, or whatever.
Mon Feb 27, 6:40 PM ET
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States said that Iran had a one-week "opportunity," before the March 6 meeting of the UN nuclear watchdog agency, to ease fears that it seeks atomic weapons.
The warning from Washington came as a senior Russian official said Moscow and Tehran would on Tuesday resume 11th-hour talks aimed at easing the tense standoff, after early reports of a tentative compromise seemed to fizzle out.
- Read Nathan Callahan with Seymout Hersh, "A Very Good Reason to Get Worried".
I'll try harder in March - honest, Mom!
Before you leave, please visit the P! Amazon Store and vote in the lastest P!oll