5.01.2006

As Sick as Our Secrets

I've had quite a bit of experience in the Twelve-Step "recovery" movement. For those of you who don't know much or anything about it - and I caution you that most folks get it wrong - let me say first that The Twelve Traditions provide an organizational design that is unparalleld for effectiveness.

One of my favorite "mottos" - and there are a bunch of them - is, "We are only as sick as our secrets." This saying reminds addicts and drunks like me that honesty and openness are critical to sobriety and recovery from an illness whose main characteristic is denial. If I don't let others know who and what I am, they can't find me and help me out of the shit I tend to get myself into.

Alcoholism and addiction are progressive, fatal illnesses. I, for one, am fortunate to be alive. And I stay alive these days only to the degree that I'm able to be pretty honest and open with others about what I'm thinking and doing. Those of you who read me regularly know that I sometimes even reveal my "darker side" here occasionally, with obvious risks.

Few of you can deny that we have become a very sick nation. We have progressed to the later stages of a complex and self-destructive malaise that fortells a tragic and painful death. Sooner, rather than later, too.

This sickness has many facets - far too many to list and examine here. But at the very core of the malignancy is the burdgeoning industry of secrecy which protects the government from yielding to the light of truth. Democracy cannot function in secrecy. Democracy suffocates as the garrotte of "top secret", "classified", and "confidential" tightens around our throats.

I, for one, am convinced that the events of 9-11 and its terrible aftermath are to be found in fine detail in the notes of the Cheney energy plan meetings early in The Doubleduh-Cheney Gang's rule. We probably will never know for sure.

One thing is certain, however. Secrecy can no longer be credibly invoked in the cause of "national security." We have never in our history been more vulnerable to the forces of our dissolution and demise. Unfortunately, with our government now so distant and hidden from and irresponsible to the people, secrecy is still the primary tool of "government security", ensuring that the criminal ruling class can continue to lie, steal, and murder to its evil heart's delight.

As I said recently, I don't trust anything this government does or says. So I'm dismayed, rather than heartened, to direct you to "The CIA exposed on Web: Agency offers a peek at intelligence errors" in yesterday's SF Chronicle. I won't excerpt it here - do the work y'own damn s'ef. All I can say is, "what the fuck are they up to now"?

.........................
Before you leave, please visit the P! Amazon Store and vote in the lastest P!oll