8.29.2006

Down, Down, Down, In that Burning Ring of Fire . . .



(This series about my life on the street and in a shelter, because of an alcoholism/drug addiction relapse begins here . . .)

After a one hour class at the shelter, every day I make my way downtown and stop at the library computer center to check email, communicate with friends, and (sometimes) post.

Directly across the street is a network TV station studio, with a trailer marquee above the plate glass window.

This morning, one of the headlines says that "SAT Records Biggest Score Drop in 31 Years". Hmmmmmmmmmm, 31 Years? Wasn't there a stupid, nasty, immoral war going on then, too? Of course, maybe there's no correlation there - maybe we're just finally seeing the effects of half a century of systematic dismantling of our education system. The Doubleduh-Cheney Gang and its successors (The Hillary-Feinstein Gang or whatever), depends on an undereducated, TV reality-show addicted, sex-crazed, brain-damaged population to stay its course.

By the way . . . searching for some workable democracy? Every day, for the past three weeks, I've been living out of a homeless shelter, in the company of around 75 men who constantly help me, guide me, educate me, and treat me with the same dignity with which I treat them. We are all at the mercy of others who devote time, money, and spirit to our survival. None of these folks work for the "government".



.........................
Before you leave, please visit the P! Amazon Store and vote in the lastest P!oll